Tourist Place

Sightseeing Places In and Around Mangalore

Kadri Manjunath Temple

Consecrated in 1068 A.D., this shrine is one of the oldest temples of the region and the idol of Lord Manjunathaswamy is considered to be one of the oldest in south India .

 

Sharavu Sri Mahaganapathi Temple

Perhaps Mangalore's most famous temple, the Sri Sharavu Sharabeshwara - Sri Mahaganapathy Kshetra has an illustrious history of over 800 years. Sri Sharavu Sharabeshwara - Sri Mahaganapathy Kshetra is an outstanding, pious center of great illustrious history of marathon 800 years.
Since the temple is located in the heart of the city, locating and reaching the temple is very easy. It is at a walking distance from Hampankatta and also can comfortably reached by autorickhaws.

The name "Sharavu" is derived from "Shara" which means arrow. About eight centuries back, the "Sthalapurana" or local legendary depicts, a very powerful king, Maharaja Veerabahu of tuluva region, killed a cow by sheer mistake by shooting it with an arrow. He in reality meant to shoot the tiger which was standing besides the cow. But, his unculpable terrible sin had to be erased, for which he did install a "Shiva Linga" as per the suggestion of a great seer Sri Bharadhwaja.

This Shivalinga has been worshipped by the Maharaja as Sharabeshwara. This sacred place was termed thereafter as "Sharavu" and the newly formed temple tank as "Sharatheertha".

Mangaladevi Temple
Religion is man's life long quest to seek "solace" and protection in a Supreme Being, by way of a refuge from the turmoil's and tribulations of existence. God, the Supreme Being, as he is addressed in simple terms, forms the central point of religious experience. God can be viewed as "personal", symbolised in a male or female power. But, God, seen from the philosophical gaze, is purely "impersonal" and "absolute". He is in the nature of "a sprit" or "chethana" as termed in Sanskrit. To look upon God as "a person", however is an error.
In the coastal belt of the western part of the land of Baratha is situated the harbour town of Mangalapuram, or the city of Mangalore, which is eternally blessed by the benign Mother Goddess, Mangalamba. This region, given away as a reward to sage Parashurama by Samudraraja, is well known for its Kadali fruits. It is the land of enchantment of Sahyadri mountains, where the great sages Kanva, Vysa, Vashista, Vishwamitra and other in the Loral past spent their days of meditation. Bountiful rivers dance down the mountains here and nature is attired in all her lush-full greenery. The shrine, from which the city of Mangalore derives its name, this temple is over 1000 years old.

Light House Hill Park

One of the oldest parks of this region, it provides a commanding view of Mangalore city the backdrop of the Arabian Sea .


 

 

Sreemanthi Bai Government Museum

This museum is a treasure house of natural, historical and scientific exhibits. 

 

 

Pilikula Nisargadhama

This is a new eco-education complex situated 9 kms from Mangalore and features a wide variety of attractions including a water park, zoo, heritage village, arboretum, science centre and a lake-park with boating facilities.

National highways N.H. 48 and N.H. 17 pass through Mangalore. There are daily bus services to Bangalore , Mysore , Goa , Madurai , Chennai, Mumbai, Hyderabad , Thiruvananthapuram and most other important places. The government bus stand of the city is located 5 kms from the hotel.

Sultan Battery

It is situated in Boloor 6 Km. away from Mangalore City Bus Stand. It was built in Black Stones by Tippu Sulthan to prevent warships to enter Gurpur river. Now the remaining part of the fort is called as Tippu's Well. It is today a deserted spot but its construction is bafflingly exquisite. Although it is a watchtower, it gives the impression of a miniature fortress with its arrangements for mounting cannons all-round. This military outpost was constructed by Tippu Sultan, the Tiger of Mysore in the year 1766 to prevent enemy warships from moving inland through the Gurupur river.

   

St. Aloysius Chapel

St. Aloysius College Chapel is situated in the heart of the city on the lighthouse hill about a kilometer away from Nehru Maidan Bus stand. It is well connected by all kinds of surface transport. This architectural gem is a 'must see' for anybody visiting Mangalore.

The Church was built in the year 1899-1900. The walls of the church are covered with the paintings of the artist Anthony Moscheni of Italy. It is comparable with the Sistine chapel in Rome. The special beauty of the chapel is the wonderful series of paintings that virtually cover every inch of the interior roof and walls executed by Bro. Moscheni trained in Italy.

The central row of paintings on the ceiling depicts the life of Aloysius Gonzaga to whom this College and Chapel is dedicated. This young man who gave his life in the service of others is given as a model to the 5,000 young people studying on this campus. Aloysius had everything that a young man of his age desires. He had wealth, power and influence. But he gave them up in order to serve others, especially the most needy. Our students are asked to imbibe his spirit of service.

Kudroli Gokarnanatha Temple

Kudroli Sri Gokarnatheshwara temple Situated in the city of Mangalore, this beautiful temple is the abode of Lord Gokarnatha, another name for Lord Shiva. Compared to the other temples in and around Mangalore this temple was built pretty recently.
This temple was built by a devotee called H. Koragappa in the year 1912. Shri Narayana Guru, the great saint and philosopher who had visited Mangalore in the year 1912, expressed his wish that the Billavas should build a temple for Lord Shiva in the city. Accordingly Koragappa who belonged to the Billava family built the temple at a place which was believed to be the graze land for the horses during the rule of Tipu Sultan. Hence the name Kudre (horse) vali which transformed into kudroli over time The temple was later renovated in the year 1990 under the guidance of Soma Sunder, son of H. Koragappa. Sthapadi K. Dakshinamoorthy was the architect who designed and built the present temple in the Chola style of architecture. This transformed the temple into it's present grand and modern looks. The temple was reestablished in the year 1991. The new gopuram is 60 feet in height and very beautiful. A marble statue of Sri Narayana Guru was erected in the entrance of the temple and a crown studded with precious gems was given by the devotees. It's estimated the renovation cost Rs. 1 crore.

Syed Madani Dargah, Ullal

The Ullal darga famous for Uroos fair has an interesting history behind its presence. Located about 10 kms from the heart of the city the darga is easily accessible by buses, auto-rickshaws ans taxis.
The Dargah to commemorate Saint Sayyid Mohammed Shareeful Madani, located in Ullal in South Kanara, has been drawing pilgrims from all faiths. Legend has it that about 400 years ago, Sayyid Muhammed Shareeful Madani came to Mangalore from Saudi Arabia, reaching the shores of Ullal by floating on a piece of cloth. He camped in a small mosque at Melangadi in Ullal village where he led asimple life showering his love on the poor.
People from Ullal, Pemannur and neighbouring villages of Someshwar, Munnur, Kotekar and Jeppinamogaru consider this as the central Jumma Masjid. He became famous among the villagers because of his kindness and his treatment of the sick through prayers.

New Mangalore Port

The only all-weather port of Karnataka , this is the ninth largest seaport of the country and has come to be identified as the 'Gateway to Karnataka.

 

Beaches

Being situated within motorable distance of some of the best beaches of Karnataka, a visit to Mangalore gives you the opportunity to top up your holiday with a great outing by the sea. Here are some of the better known sea-side destinations -

  • Maravanthe - 105 kms.
  • Someshwar - 15 kms.
  • Tannirbhavi - 7 kms.
  • St. Mary's Isles -   65 kms.

 

1000 Pillar Temple

Moodabidri , sometimes described as the Jain Varanasi, has 18 Jain basadis, although jains themselves are a minority of the population. This place consists mainly of Digamber sect, has a large number of Jain Basadi's (temples). The most famous among them is the 1000 pillared Chandranatha Basadi popularly known as "Saaveerakambha Basadi". The uniqueness is that no two pillars are identical.
This has a powerful presence in the centre of the town. Three mandapas lead to the main sanctuary. These mandapas have a series of sloping tiered roofs, adapted to the heavy monsoon rainfall of the region. The main entrance which faces East, opens into a superb monolithic pillar (mana-stambha) in front of the main door-way. The temple has a valuable collection of metal, jewel carved images of Jain tirthankars. The columns in Moodabidri are extraordinary typical of the Chalukyan architecture. The 2 meter high panchaloha ( 5 metal) image of Chandranatha stands out among images. Once a year a grand Jain festival is celebrated where in thousands of Jains take part.

The Jain monastery near the main temple entrance, has a library with some beautiful 12th and 13th century palm leaf manuscripts. Booklets on Moodabidri are available in English, Hindi and Kannada. The 17th century Chowta Place, which is still occupied by descendants of the royal family, is also worth visiting for its beautifully carved wooden pillars, ceilings and screen. Moodabidri is located about 34Kms from Mangalore and is easily accessible by buses and private taxis.

Kateel Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple

Kateel about 30 Kms from Mangalore, Goddess Durga Parmeswari has made Kateel her home. The history of this place is that after the
Goddess Ugra Bramari killed the rakshasa or the demon, she was possessed with anger, then the Devas led by Jabali performed
abhishekam with tender coconut water and requested the Ugra Bramari to bless the world with her 'Sowmya Roopa'. Goddess Durga then appeared in her 'Sowmya Roopa' in middle of the river, where present structure of the temple imparts
its glory to the world. 'Kati' being the word which means 'center' (midway between the 'Kanakagiri' the place where the river was born, and the end, Pravanje, where the river joins the sea) and 'lla' means area. Thus the place is called 'Kati + lla' Kateel.

Sri Kshetra Dharmasthala

Situated on the banks of river Nethravathi, in the remote Belthangady taluk, this shrine dedicated to Sri Manjunathaswamy is maintained by the famous Heggade lineage. This heritage site also includes a museum and naturopathy centre. A gigantic monolithic statue of Gomateshwara has been installed here by the present Dhamadhikari, Padmabhushan Dr. D. Veerendra Heggade.
   

Karkala (18 kms)

This temple town is best known for the 42 feet tall statue of Bahubali (Gomateshwara) carved out of a single block of granite rock. This statue was erected in 1431-32. The Chaturmukha Basadi built in 1586-87 stands on the same slope. On the fringes of Karkala lies St. Lawrence Church. Built in 1759, the church has an unusual architecture and it attracts visitors from across the country.

 

 

Sringeri

This world renowed pilgrim spot has as many as 40 major temples and is associated with the legendary philosopher saint Adi Shankaracharya. Shringeri is one of the great seats of Hinduism and an important centre of spirituality and Sanskrit learning. There is something to fascinate every type of the visitor, be he an archaeologist, an architect, a sociologist or an educationist.

 

 

Udupi Sri Krishna Temple

Founded by the great Hindu Saint Madhwacharya, this famous temple dedicated Lord Krishna is also associated with bard Kanakdasa.

 

Kollur Mookambika Temple

About 135 Kms from Mangalore, Kollur has the famous Mookambika Temple at the foot of the Western Ghats.This is a well known temple in Kundapur taluq of Karnataka visited by pilgrims from all over India. It is situated at the banks of the never drying river Sauparnika. This attractive Mookambika temple with gold plated crest and copper roofs attracts thousands of devotees.